Cheryl Burke is a professional dancer, two-time Dancing with the Stars champion, and podcast host. She has been open about her struggles with childhood trauma and abusive relationships. In a recent interview, she revealed that she dated a narcissist for several years and that the experience left her with a lot of healing to do.
“I’m not in a rush,” she admitted. “I owe this to myself. You know they say every narcissist you date you owe a year to yourself. I’ve got a lot of years to make up, OK?”
Burke’s story is not unique. Narcissists are drawn to people who are kind, generous, and supportive. They may initially seem charming and attentive, but over time, their true nature begins to show. Narcissists are demanding, controlling, and manipulative. They need constant admiration and validation, and they are quick to criticize and devalue their partners.
Being in a relationship with a narcissist can be extremely damaging to one’s self-esteem and mental health. Burke has said that her relationship with a narcissist left her feeling “worthless” and “empty.” She also struggled with anxiety and depression.
It is important to remember that it is not possible to change a narcissist. The only way to heal from a relationship with a narcissist is to leave the relationship and focus on rebuilding your own life. This can be a long and difficult process, but it is possible.
Here are some tips for healing from a relationship with a narcissist:
- Educate yourself about narcissism. The more you know about narcissism, the better equipped you will be to understand your own experience and start to heal.
- Allow yourself to grieve. It is important to allow yourself to grieve the loss of the relationship, even if you know that it was not healthy.
- Connect with supportive people. Surround yourself with people who love and support you. Talk to your friends, family, or a therapist about your experience.
- Focus on yourself. Take time to heal and rebuild your self-esteem. Do things that you enjoy and that make you feel good about yourself.
- Set boundaries. Once you are healed, it is important to set boundaries with your ex-partner. This may mean limiting contact or going no contact altogether.
If you are in a relationship with a narcissist, it is important to reach out for help. There are many resources available to support you, including therapists, support groups, and online communities.
Cheryl Burke’s story is an inspiration to many. She has overcome a lot of adversity in her life, and she is now using her platform to help others who have been in similar situations. Her message is that it is possible to heal from a relationship with a narcissist and build a happy and healthy life.
Here are some additional thoughts on Cheryl Burke’s relationship with a narcissist:
- It is important to note that not all narcissists are the same. Some narcissists are more overt in their behavior, while others are more covert. Some narcissists are physically abusive, while others are emotionally abusive. It is also important to note that not all people who date narcissists are the same. Some people are more vulnerable to dating narcissists than others.
- There are a number of factors that can contribute to someone dating a narcissist. Some people may have grown up in a family with a narcissistic parent. Others may have low self-esteem or a history of abuse. It is important to remember that there is no shame in dating a narcissist. It is simply something that happens.
- If you are in a relationship with a narcissist, it is important to have a plan in place for leaving the relationship. This may involve packing your bags and leaving while your partner is not home. It is also important to have a financial plan in place, as narcissists often make it difficult for their partners to leave them financially.
- Once you have left a relationship with a narcissist, it is important to focus on your own healing. This may involve therapy, support groups, or simply spending time with loved ones. It is also important to set boundaries with your ex-partner. This may mean limiting contact or going no contact altogether.
Healing from a relationship with a narcissist takes time and effort, but it is possible. Cheryl Burke’s story is proof of that. If you are in a relationship with a narcissist, please know that you are not alone. There are people who care about you and want to help.