Chris Pérez is an American guitarist. In the initial days of his career, he used to play in a Tejano band Selena y Los Dinos.Chris Perez was married to the lead singer of the band Selena Quintanilla. He spent his childhood in San Antonio. His exceptional guitar skills made him one of the most respected personalities among Tejano musicians. Abraham Quintanilla, the brother of Selena and Suzette Quintanilla, was mesmerized by his guitar skills of Chris. He thus hired him as the guitarist of their band. Within a couple of years, he and Selena Quintanilla got involved in a love affair.
Early Life, Childhood, and Education
|Birth Name||Chris Perez|
|Date of Birth||14 August,1969|
|Father’s Name||Gilbert Pérez|
|Mother’s Name||Carmen Medina|
|Spouse||Selena Quintanilla, Vanessa Villanueva|
|Children||Cassie Pérez, Noah Pérez|
- The father of Chris Perez, Gilbert Perez, was a computer programmer. He was born in San Antonio on August 14, 1969.
- Chris’s ancestry goes back to Mexican-American origin. In 1974, when he was just four years old, his parents, Gilbert and Cameran, divorced. His mother’s second wedding dates back to 1978.
- In middle school, he learned to play French Horn. His mother supported him in joining the concert band of his school.
- In those days, there were many negative stories associated with the world of pop music Artist. So, when he started learning electric guitar, his mother opposed it.
- At seventeen, he escaped from his house to Los Angeles, California, to start a rock band. Perez used to work in a library and stayed with his father.
- Later, his cousin pushed him to join Shelly’s band. The only reason for joining the band was their high pay. He left the group shortly to form his music band with the other two guitarist friends.
Chris Perez’s Wife and Kids
|First Wife||Selena Quintanilla|
|Second Wife||Vanessa Villanueva|
|No. of Children||2|
- Within a couple of years after joining the band Selena Quintanilla, they began dating each other. Abraham Quintanilla, her father forced them to end the relationship as he feared that this news would hamper the image of her daughter. However, they ignore it and continued enjoying the relationship.
- Chris Perez was fired! At the beginning of the ’90s, he was arrested for driving under the influence.
- He and Selena got married in 1992.In In March 31, 1995,Selena was murdered! After Selena Quintanilla Death, Chris Perez completely falls apart and became the victim of drug abuse and alcohol.
- Though to date he could not forget his first wife and love, he remarried in 2001.
- He married Vanessa Villanueva and together they had two kids, Cassie and Noah. The couple parted ways in 2008. After their divorce, not much is known about Chris Perez’s wife and kids.
In the initial years of his career, Chris used to play at a local cafe with Shelley’s band. When the lead guitarist of the Selena band left, they discovered this budding talent. Overnight, he became the lead guitarist of the Selena Y Los Dinos. He and his brother-in-law wrote many songs and ad jingles for Selena.
In 1995, when his wife was brutally shot, he was devastated. Thus, his career witnessed a downfall. Recovering from the trauma, he made a comeback with his own (Rock-en-Espanol) band, the band of Chris Perez. The band also featured:
- John Garza: Vocalist
- Rudy Martinez: Lead Bassist of La Mafia
- Joe Ojeda: Keyboardist of Los Dinos
- Jesse Esquivel- Drummer
Major Works and Awards
- In 1999, the band released their debut bi-lingual album, Resurrection.
- During the making of this album, Perez showcased his excellent songwriting skill! He co-wrote all nine songs with Ojeda, like in his old days. The album was a hit and got many positive reviews from critics.
- The album brought the Grammy award for best album. The band disbanded after the release of their second album in 2002.
Concerts and Tours
- Chris Perez is one of the lead guitarists of all time. Woohoo! You will get to witness the person in real life! Vivid seats manage all the events of Chris Perez.
- They have arranged back-to-back concerts in the year 2022-2023. Get ready to book your seats now. On October 1, 2022, he was present at the Music Festival in Dallas.
- In his career journey to date, Chris only had a controversial love story with Selena. The controversy popped after Selena’s father came to know about the relationship.
- He began threatening a couple of disbanding the music band. After their marriage, his father-in-law forgave him and accepted their relationship.
- He proposed to Selena Quintanilla at a Pizza Hut while on a band mission.
- He is the father to many pets, like five dogs, a python, and a mouse. Unfortunately, the python gobbled the mouse!
- To date, he has not fully recovered from the pain of Selena’s untimely death. In an interview, he stated that he remarried to escape the pain. However, his initiative was in vain.
- He was a victim of drug abuse. In 1992, he and his cousin were arrested for driving under the influence.
- Perez is keen on spicy food. In November 2019, he, along with his business partner John Gomez started the venture Perez Pepper Sauce. The brand is famous for its green ‘Jalapeno’ and ‘original’ flavor.
- After his parents’ divorce, he used to stay with his mother. Chris’s mother supported him in joining the music band in school.
- He was precisely opposite to Selena. Chris is an introvert.
- There was a lawsuit for the disapproval of Chris Perez’s book. To Selena with Love in 2013. Selena’s father, Abraham Quintanilla, filed a lawsuit against him and the other two famous companies in 2016.
|Chris Perez Net Worth||$ 2 million|
Chris Perez is a Tejano guitarist. He was married to the famous Tejano music queen Selena Quintanilla. As his wife was murdered, he had an emotional breakdown. Chris made a comeback with a bang! The debut comeback album won a Grammy. He even appeared in the Netflix series, Selena.
Chris Perez – FAQ’s
Is Chris Perez still married to Selena?
Chris Perez and Selena Quintanilla were married to each other till 1995. After the brutal death of Selena, Chris remained single till 2001. In 2001, he remarried Vanessa Villanueva. They had two kids together whom they co-parent. The couple divorced seven years after their marriage. He still cherishes his memories with Selena.
Did Chris Perez ever remarry?
Chris Perez remarried after a long gap. His second wife also has a keen interest in music. They married in 2011, and the couple had two kids, Cassie and Noah. The second marriage of Chris Perez was short-lasting. Seven years after the wedding, the couple parted ways. However, they are still co-parenting their kids.
How long did Chris Perez wait to remarry?
Chris Perez took a long gap after the death of Selena Quintanilla in 1995. He remained single and only focused on his profession. Much later, in the year 2001, he decided to remarry. His second marriage also did not last long. But, unlike the first one, he is a father to two kids from this marriage.
Did Selena and Chris love each other?
Selena and Chris started their relationship a couple of years after he joined the Los Dinos. In their relationship, they faced loads of challenges and obstacles from Selena’s side. His image further deteriorated after the drug case. After some time, he rejoined the band. Selena forgave him, and they married. They were together till the last breath of Selena.
Why did Selena hide her relationship with Chris?
On the trip to a musical concert, Chris got attracted to Selena. They tried to ignore their feelings but confessed to each other at a Pizza Hut joint. They decided to hide their relationship for fear of Selena’s father, as the father might disapprove of their relationship. However, Selena could not hide her feelings and soon announced them.
Did Selena’s father sue Chris Pérez?
Selena’s father has a disliking towards Chris since the beginning of his relationship with her. When she was murdered, he broke down completely. Even after his second marriage, he could not get over the memories of Selena fully. He released a book in memory of Selena against her father, filed a lawsuit, and sued Chris.