The former police officer of Illinois, Drew Peterson, was convicted of murdering his third wife only after a few months of divorce from her. He was sentenced to life imprisonment for 78 years with the earliest possibility of release in May 2081.
Drew Peterson’s Overview
- Birth Name: Drew Walter Peterson
- Age: 68
- Date of Birth: January 5, 1954
- Place of Birth: Bolingbrook, Illinois, USA
- Nationality: American
- Profession: Former Police Officer
- Father: Not Known
- Mother: Not known
- Siblings: Not known
- Spouse: Carol Brown (m. 1974; div. 1980), Vicki Connolly (m. 1982; div. 1992), Kathleen Savio (m. 1992; div. 2003), Stacy Ann Cales (2003–?; missing since 2007)
- Children: 6
Personal Life (Education and Military Service)
- After graduating from Willowbrook High School in Villa Park, Illinois in 1972, Drew joined the US Army and attended the College of DuPage in 1974.
- Later, he moved to Falls Church in Virginia to get the training of a military police officer and started his service from Chicago in 1977.
- In 1978, he was sent to Metropolitan Area Narcotics Squad, he received the Police Officer of the Year Award in 1979.
- He retired at the age of 53 in 2007 with a pension which was terminated after he was convicted of second murder.
- Peterson met his first wife Carol Brown during his high school in Villa Park and they attended prom together.
- The couple after dating got married in 1974, however, they took divorce after six years in 1980.
- The couple are parents to two sons named Stephen Paul Peterson and Eric Drew Peterson.
- Drew Peterson got married for the second time in 1982 with Vicki. The couple ran a bar in Romeoville.
- Connolly later alleged Peterson for domestic violence.
- Peterson and Connolly are parents to a daughter.
- The divorce of the couple was finalized in 1992 after Connolly got to know that Peterson is dating Kathleen Savio.
- Peterson and Savio got married in May 1992.
- The couple are parents to two sons, namely, Thomas and Kristopher.
- The couple got separated after their divorce was finalized in October 2003.
- Police was called 18 times to their house after getting calls of domestic disturbance.
- In March 2004, Kathleen’s body was found lying in a waterless bathtub. However, the police officer know Peterson personally and so he assured the juror that he had no involvement in her death and the incident is purely an accident.
- After Stacy Peterson (his fourth wife) went missing, the matter came to the notice and a forensic examination was carried out in November 2007.
- The examiner, Micheal Baden stated that Savio died of drowning in the water following a struggle to survive when her body was placed in the bathtub. Postmartem pictures also revealed the bruises on her body and scraping on her torso, face and back and gash on her scalp.
- The state attorney James Glasgow stated that Savio’s death was a homicide but was staged as an accident.
- One of the pastors at Stacy’s church told her that Drew Peterson has killed Savio and showed it as an accident.
- Stacy provided Drew’s whereabouts on the evening of Stacy’s death as evidences based on which trial was conducted.
- In September 2012, Peterson was convicted of killing his third wife Savio and was sentenced to 38 years in prison in February 2013.
Stacy Ann Peterson
- In 2003 during his 49th year, Peterson married a 19 year old receptionist named Stacy Ann Cales.
- The couple is parents to two children Anthony and Lacy. Stacy also adopted Savio’s children and treated them as her own.
- While Stacy was about to complete her nursing degree from Joliet College when she went missing on October 28, 2007. She was reported missing on the next day after her sister failed to hear from her.
- Peterson claimed that Stacy told him on Sunday that she had left him for another man. Stacy till date is considered as missing.
- Joel Brodsky claimed in an interview that he knew what happened to Stacy and she will be found after Drew passes away.
Drew Peterson’s Children
- Peterson had seven children from his four marriages.
- From his first wife, he had sons Stephen Paul and Eric Drew Peterson.
- From his second wife, he had a daughter.
- Again he had two sons, named, Thomas and Kristopher, from his third wife Kathleen.
- Anthony and Lacy are his two children from wife Stacy.
Legal Trouble, Murder Trial and Arrest
- Illinois state police followed several leads during the investigation, search warrants were issued in Peterson’s name and thorough search was carried out after Stacy went missing.
- His firearms and vehicles were seized along with Stacy’s vehicles.
- Peterson took voluntary retirement from the police service in November 2007 after which allowed him a pension of $6,067.71 per month stating that they have no other option since he had not been convicted in a crime yet.
- Peterson’s friend, Rick Mims, admitted that he helped his friend bring plastic containers from a cable company where they worked in 2003.
- Neighbors also reported to the police that they had seen Peterson and another man carrying a barrel, large enough to carry a person, out of the house soon after Stacy’s disappearance.
- On May 7, 2009, Peterson was arrested for the murder of his third wife Savio. In July 2010, Judge White ruled that he will remain in Will County Jail for his remaining trials.
- In August 2012, one of the witnesses, Jeff Pachter, stated that Drew Peterson had offered him $25,000to get Savio killed and to keep it a secret all his life.
- In September 2012, he was found guilty of murdering his wife Savio.
- In February 2013, Peterson was sentenced to life in prison for 38 years.
- Initially, he was kept in Menard Correctional Center of Chester, Illinois, however, was later shifted to the Federal Correctional Institute.
- In December 2019, he was transferred to the state facility outside Illinois but his location was not disclosed due to security issues.
Read also: HRVY or Harvey Leigh Cantwell
Movies and documentaries based on Peterson
- Aired in December 2007, “A Killer Among Us” was based on Drew Peterson’s crimes.
- “Drew Peterson: Untouchable” was filmed by tv network Lifetime around the murder of Savio and disappearance of Stacy.
- The events were also pictured in the documentary Drew Peterson: An American Murder Mystery and was premiered in August 2017.
- Cellmate Secrets Season 1 also aired the episode on June 11, 2021.
Drew Peterson- FAQs
Who is Drew Peterson?
He is a former police personnel who is convicted for murdering his wife.
Who were Drew Peterson’s wives?
He married four times in his life. His wives are Carol Brown, Vicki Connolly, Kathleen Savio and Stacy Ann.
Where is Drew Peterson now?
He is in Terre Haute Federal Correctional Institution in Terre Haute, Indiana.
Is Stacy Petersons till missing?
Yes, she is missing since 2007.
How did Drew Peterson make his money?
After retiring from the police service, he was given a monthly pension.