Grace VanderWaal is an extremely talented and new age sensation. She has won the 11th season of America’s Got Talent. She became the second female to win the show. At the auditions, she sang “I Don’t Know My Name”which was written by herself while her original song “Clay” made her won the show.
Grace Vanderwaal is self-taught ukulele player. She learnt it from YouTube videos and started making videos of her own with ukulele and self-written lyrics.
Grace Vanderwaal’s Overview
- Birth Name: Grace Avery VanderWaal
- Age: 18
- Date of Birth: January 15, 2004
- Place of Birth: Lenexa, Kansas, US
- Nationality: American
- Occupation: Singer, Songwriter, Actress
- Net Worth: 2 million USD
- Father: David VanderWaal
- Mother: Tina VanderWaal
- Siblings: An older sister and an elder brother
- Spouse: NA
- Children: NA
Early Life and Family
Read also: Loren Gray, The Famous TikToker from America
- Born to parents Tina and David VanderWaal, Grace VanderWaal grown up to become a singer and actress.
- Her father David VanderWaal was a Dutch. Her family shifted to Suffern, New York when his father, in 2007, became the Vice President of Marketing at LG Electronics.
- Grace later shifted to South Carolina.
- She is the youngest child of her parents after her elder sister and brother.
- She was home schooled until 6th, past which she was enrolled online for 7th Later, she attended Public School part time.
- VanderWaal started singing and writing songs from the age of three.
- In her preteen days, she was inspired from movies and imagined what the character would be feeling.
- While doing so, her thought always was “what it would be like if I were them and wrote a song”.
- She also wanted to learn ukulele after watching a Brazilian player playing the game and a YouTube video.
- However, when she asked her mother to get her one on her 11th birthday, she disagreed thinking that she will not learn it.
- Later, she bought it herself from the money she got on birthday and watched movies to learn how to play it.
- In her school’s marching band, she played saxophone.
- She started recording songs on her own with ukulele and posted them on YouTube.
- She also began performing in open mic events near her house.
- In 2016, she auditioned for AGT and also performed at Lafayette Theatre in Suffern and at Palisades Credit Union Park.
America’s Got Talent
- Grace VanderWaal, in June 2016, auditioned for 11th season of AGT and sang her original song “I Don’t Know My Name”.
- Her audition video got a cumulative of 100 million views and the video ranked at fifth place on the list of YouTube videos of 2016.
- She was selected directly for the quarterfinal round. Simon Cowell, one of the judges of the show, named her as the next ‘Taylor Swift’.
- She continued to sing her own songs on the show and in the quarterfinal she sang “Beautiful Thing”, a song she has written for her sister.
- In the semis, she sang “Light The Sky” and in the final round, she sang, “Clay”, a song based on bullying.
- She performed “I Don’t Know My Name” on the finale day.
- At the end of the show, she was declared as the winner of the America’s Got Talent season 11.
- With this, she became the second female to win the show and also second child to win the show.
Career post AGT
- VanderWaal used a part of her winning amount to do the charity and with another part she bought two tree houses one for herself and other for her sister.
- These houses were built by the Treehouse Master team.
- In September 2016, She made her presence as a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- She performed with other AGT finalists and headlined dour sold out concerts at Vegas’s Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino.
- VanderWaal, in September 206, signed a contract with Columbia Records and released Perfectly Imperfect, her debut EP.
- Four of the five songs of EP were her originals and the fifth was Greg Wells original.
- The EP made its place at no 9 on Billboard 200 albums chart and was also the best-selling EP of 2016.
- Her song “Light the sky” was also the background music for Google’s “Year in search 2016”
- She performed “I don’t know my name” at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- In 2017 February, she performed in the Empire State Building for the couples at VDay’s lighting event.
- From February 2017 to June 2017, she performed her songs in different parts of the world.
- In 2017, she started working on her first full length album and gave it the title “Just The Baginning”.
- In an interview, she told how her process changed completely from album to writing songs on demand.
- In June 2017, she took part in VidCon’s show YouTube on Stage, there she performed her first single of her upcoming music album “Moonlight”.
- Later, she released other songs of the album.
- In August 2017, she appeared as a guest performer on AGT.
- During the same time, Windex used her song “Beautiful Thing” for an advertisement.
- SheKnows Media ranked her song “I Don’t Know My Name” as the most empowering song for women till 2017.
- VanderWaal did the promotions of her album “Just the Beginning” with her performances in September and October.
- Her album “Moonlight” made it to no 22 on Billboard 200 albums.
Her Career from 2019 to Till Date
- At the start of 2019, Grace VanderWaal released her single “Stray” and also recorded her first soundtrack “Hideaway” for the animation movie Wonder Park.
- From June 2019, she toured southeastern US and in August and September, she toured North America.
- She released several songs in 2019 and also her EP Letters Vol. 1 in Nov 2019.
- In 2020, she made an acting debut with “Stargirl”.
The 18 year old singer and actress has an estimated net worth of approximately 2 million USD.
|Just The Beginning||2017|
|Letters Vol. 1||2019|
|I don’t know my name||2016|
|So much more than this||2017|
|Ur so beautiful||2019|
Awards and Nominations
|2016||America’s Got Talent||Won|
|2017||Radio Disney Music Awards||Won|
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Won|
|2017||Billboard Women in Music||Won|
|2018||Radio Disney Music Awards||Nominated|
|2018||MTV Europe Music Awards||Won|
|2018||32nd Japan Gold Disc Awards||Won|