“I feel like I’m more free in prison, than with living with my mom. Because now, I’m allowed to just live like a normal woman.”- Gypsy Rose
Who is Gypsy Rose?
Gypsy Rose became a victim of her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard’s false medical claims. Just because Dee Dee wanted to be her daughter’s caretaker, she intentionally induced illness in her. Her false claims led to the dire medications in Rose. However, in 2015, the revelations about her fake illness came out when Gypsy planned her mother’s murder and later executed it with the help of her boyfriend that she has arranged online. Experts believed that Claudine’s behavior is because of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, a mental disorder that leads a parent or caretaker to fabricate fake illness in the person they are looking after, probably to gain attention and sympathy.
Gypsy Rose’s Overview
- Birth Name: Gypsy Rose Blanchard
- Age: 29
- Date of Birth: July 27, 1991
- Place of Birth: Louisiana
- Nationality: American
- Father: Rod Blanchard
- Mother: Dee Dee Blanchard
- Siblings: NA
- Height: 5 feet 4 inches or 1.63 meters
- Weight: 55 kg
- Body Measurements: 33-24-34
- Eye color: Brown
- Hair Color: Dark Brown
Gypsy’s Early Life and False Claims made by Dee Dee
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard, born in 1991, was victimized by her mother’s claim that she is suffering from sleep apnea.
- When Gypsy was 3 months old, Dee Dee started taking her to the hospital for medication and overnight monitored sleep. However, reports showed no such medical condition in her.
- When Gypsy Rose turned eight, her mother claimed that she had leukemia and muscular dystrophy and made her use a wheelchair and feeding tube.
- After Dee Dee’s claims, Gypsy had to go through a litany of medications and multiple surgeries, also her salivary glands were removed.
- Her teeth were pulled out after being rotten from the heavy medication and treatment procedures.
- She used to go to the Special Olympics Events. The child oriented parade was flagged off in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. She was given the title of the honorary queen of the Krewe of Mid-City in the event of 2001.
- Reports continued to contradict Dee Dee’s claims, however, she avoided any doctor who questioned her claims.
- Since she had some training of a nurse so she described the symptoms accurately and therefore many practitioners went along with her claims.
- When Gypsy learnt talking, Dee Dee taught her not to disclose any of her information during appointment, she always kept forward her symptoms instead of her.
- However, when Claudine’s relatives started questioning her, she moved away with her daughter.
- Another claim made by her in 2005 was that her daughter and she are a victim of Hurricane Katrina and thus they got assistance in relocating to Missouri.
- After moving to Missouri, they got a new house from Habitat for Humanity and it was equipped with a wheelchair ramp.
- Dee Dee’s devotion, although fake, got her sponsored visits to Disney World and Concerts.
- By the time Gypsy turned 14, a neurologist in Missouri believed that her mother is suffering from Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.
- However, in later interviews, he revealed that he lacked enough evidences to report her case or act against it.
- In 2009, a report stating that Gypsy’s medical conditions had no base was made, after which two caseworkers visited them, but Dee Dee was successful in convincing them that nothing is wrong.
- Dee Dee lied about Gypsy’s age as she grew older and altered her birth date on the certificate.
Read also: Sasha Obama, Daughter of Barack Obama
- Gypsy Rose went to school only till second grade or possible only till kindergarten.
- After that, she was homeschooled by her mother.
- Later, it was believed that homeschooling was her mother’s trick of isolating Gypsy.
- Gypsy Rose somehow learnt reading on her own using Harry Potter books.
Gypsy became hard to control as she grew older
- After growing up, Rose started creating troubles for Dee Dee.
- In 2011, she tried to run away with a man she knew from science fiction convention.
- However, Dee Dee successfully tracked them and convinced the man that she is still a minor, though she was not.
- Upon returning home, Dee Dee restrained her to bed.
Gypsy Rose and Nicholas Godejohn Plotting Dee Dee’s Murder
- Gypsy somehow managed to go over the internet and register on a Christian dating site.
- She met Nicholas Godejohn on the site and told him truth about her mother and her false claims.
- Gypsy asked him to kill her mother so that they can be together.
- In june 2015, they executed her mother’s murder.
- Nicholas entered Gypsy’s house and stabbed her mother 17 times in the back while Gypsy waited in the bathroom with ears covered.
Breaking out of the murder news, investigation following the arrest
- As the news of Dee Dee’s murder broke out, people wondered why she has murdered Dee Dee when she could simply tell the truth just by standing up from the wheelchair and walking.
- To this, she explained, “I couldn’t just jump out of the wheelchair because I was afraid and I didn’t know what my mother would do. I didn’t have anyone to trust”.
- Upon arriving on the Blanchard house, police had to wait before search warrant is issued, so they sent one of the neighbors to check in the house.
- Initially, they believed that Gypsy might be helpless without her wheelchair and medication.
- However, Woodmansee, one of the persons who gathered around the house, showed the pictures of Gypsy and her boyfriend.
- Based on the information obtained from that woman, police started searching for them.
Read also: Neilia Hunter, The First Wife of Joe Biden
Getting caught by the Police
- After murdering Dee Dee, the duo ran with 4000 USD to Godejohn’s home in Wisconsin.
- However, they were traced down by the police by the Facebook post of Gypsy.
- She posted on Fb stating “That B***h is dead!”
- Police raided his house where the couple surrendered and were immediately taken into custody.
- The news that Gypsy is safe brought a big relief to the people in Springfield.
- Later in an interview, she revealed that she posted on the platform so that her mother’s body can be found.
Trails and conviction
- The sympathy that Dee Dee had gained for her care now shifted to Gypsy Rose for being a victim of abuse for so long.
- The first degree murder could have landed her and her boyfriend in death penalty or life without parole.
- But the county prosecutor announced that since the case is extraordinary and unusual and therefore he would not seek the these trails for them.
- Gypsy accepted the plea bargain agreement and was given a sentence of 10 years in jail.
- From 2023, she will be eligible for parole.
- Godejohn faced more severe charges since he was the one who actually killed Claudine.
- However, his trail was postponed in January 2017 since prosecutor requested for a another psychiatric test.
- His lawyer quoted that he is on autism spectrum and so have a diminished capacity.
- His trail was scheduled to November 2018 and after almost two hours of delibration, jury found him guilty of the first degree murder.
- He was sentenced to life prison for conviction in murder.
Reaction of Dee Dee’s family upon her murder
- Her family did not regret her murder.
- Some of the family members including her stepmother, father and nephew stated that she has discovered her fate.
Documentary and TV shows that showed this incident
- The documentary movie titled “Mommy Dead and Dearest” was directed by Erin Lee and produced by HBO.
- It was premiered on May 15, 2017.
- Phil’s talk show of CBS network’s episode “Mother Knows Best: A Story of Munchausen By Proxy and Murder” featured the interviews of Gypsy Rose, her father and her step-mother.
- ABC’s series Good Morning America’s segment Mother of all Murders aired the interview of Gypsy Rose from the prison.
- Sony’s series CID aired the episode titled “Death on Social Media” which was based on Gypsy’s case, however, the name were changed as per the Indian context.
- Love You to Death was aired by Lifetime in January 2019.
- “The Act” by Hulu is also based on the real life story of Gypsy and Dee Dee.
- As per some sources, Gypsy Rose’s net worth can lie between 1 to 5 million USD.
- However, it is not possible to state a exact amount since it is still under review.
Gypsy Rose- FAQs
Who is Gypsy Rose?
Gypsy Rose is a 29 year old woman who was the victim of her mother’s false claims. She had to undergo false medication and treatments just because her mother faked her ailments.
How old is Gypsy Rose?
Born in 1991, Gypsy is currently 29 years old.
Where is Gypsy Rose now?
Gypsy Rose is currently serving her jail term of ten years in Chillicothe Correctional Center.
What happened to Gypsy Rose?
Gypsy Rose was convicted for second degree murder and was sentenced to 10 year jail term. She murdered her mother after being abused by her for almost 20 years.
When does Gypsy Rose Blanchard get out?
Gypsy Rose will be eligible for parole from December 2023.