Laci Peterson was born on 4th May 1975 to the couple Sharon and Dennis Robert Rocha. she was reported seen alive for the last time on December 24, 2002. They worked as a dairy operator and owned a dairy farm in California. She was 27 when she disappeared. An investigation of the case revealed that her husband, Scott Peterson was guilty of killing his 8 months old pregnant wife, Laci Peterson, and the unborn child, Conor. Both of their bodies were found on the bay of San Francisco. The autopsy results revealed the absence of the head and both limbs in Laci’s body and the presence of an umbilical cord in the infant which is a very uncommon practice in today’s medicine.
|Birth Name||Laci Denise Rocha|
|Date of Birth||May 4, 1975|
|Place of Birth||Modesto, California, US|
|Date of death||December 24, 2002|
|Place of death||Modesto, California, US|
|Net worth||$5 Million|
|Father||Dennis Robert Rocha|
|Children||Conner (fetal death)|
Laci Peterson Age and Height
|Height||5 feet 1 inches|
|Weight||121lbs (55 kg)|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Shoe Size||8 (US)|
- Laci Peterson was born on 4th May 1975 to the couple Sharon and Dennis Robert Rocha. They worked as a dairy operator and owned a dairy farm in California. Her last survival age is 27 years old
Early Life, Education, and Family (Parents and Siblings)
- Born on May 4, 1975, Laci Peterson, was the second child of Sharon and Denise Rocha who met during high school.
- Denise and Sharon were dairy farm owners.
- Laci’s elder brother, Brent, was four years older than her.
- She enjoyed working at the farm with her mother and this left a great impact on her.
- Her parents took divorced when Laci was still very young.
- She along with her mother and brother moved to Modesto, however, they visited the farms on weekends.
- Laci’s mother married Ron Grantski, he helped her raise the children.
- Laci worked as a cheerleader during her junior high and high school days.
- After completing her high school at Thomas Downey High School, she took admitted to ornamental horticulture at the California Polytechnic State University.
Marriage (Relationship with Scott Peterson) and Children
- While at university, Laci Peterson sometimes visited the Pacific Café in Morro Bay since her friend worked there.
- At the restaurant, she met her friend’s co-worker Scott Peterson in 1994.
- She took the initiative and sent him her phone number. She also told her mother that she would marry him.
- As their relationship grew serious, Scott started focusing on business.
- After dating for two years, they moved in together and later married in 1997. However, Peterson was engaged in an extra-marital affair.
- After settling down, the couple opened a sports bar called “The Shack” in San Luis Obispo.
- Peterson took the course to install the required vent in the bar. The business with a slow start began to grow.
- On October 2000, the couple purchased a bungalow on Covena Avenue near East La Loma Park.
- ‘The Shack’ was sold in April 2001.
- Luci started working as a part-time substitute teacher while Peterson started working at Tradecorp USA.
- Laci was pregnant and the couple planned to name their son Conner.
- In November 2002, Scott met Frey and told her that he is single and the two started dating.
- Scott’s parents saw Laci for the last time a week before Christmas.
Scott and Laci Peterson
- Scott and Laci met while she was studying at California Polytechnic University in a friend’s café.
- Scott and Laci Peterson got engaged in 1996 and married in the summer of 1997 after dating for three years. Scott started a sports bar called ‘The Shack’, and Laci was working as a substitute teacher.
- The couple settled in Laci’s hometown Modesto, California after selling ‘The Shack’. They lived in a bungalow on Covena Avenue near East La Loma Park. Laci was living the life of being a perfect housewife, enjoying cooking and entertaining the family.
Disappearance and Murder of Laci Peterson
- Laci and Peterson, on December 23, 2002, went to the salon for a haircut. Peterson offered Rocha that he will pick up the fruit basket that she ordered as a gift for her grandfather since he will be playing golf on Christmas eve at a near course.
- Peterson stated that he saw his wife for the last time at 9:30 am on 23 December. The family dog was found in the yard by two neighbours who returned him to Peterson’s yard.
- His husband stated that upon his return to the house in the afternoon, he found it empty and the dog was there in the backyard.
- He also reported that his seven months pregnant wife is missing from the house, he informed his mother-in-law and Laci’s stepfather who informed the police.
- The lead investigators, Jon Buehler and Allen Brocchini found Laci’s car keys, sunglasses, and wallet in a purse kept in the closet.
- The “dead calm” reaction of his husband upon asking questions grew the investigators’ suspicion of him. He was nothing like a man who is stressed about his missing wife. Initially, Peterson told the police that he was at the golf course all day, however, later changed his statement and told them that he went fishing.
- He also said that he messaged Laci, saying, “Hey, Beautiful. It’s 2:15. I’m leaving Berkeley.” Such statements increased their suspicion. Initially, Luci’s parents defended him and believed that they are a perfect couple.
- In January 2003, his extramarital affairs were disclosed, one of which was with Amber Frey.
- Frey stated to the police that he said he is single and they started dating each other. However, after Frey grew suspicious of his marriage, he overturned and told her that he lost his wife, and this would be the first holiday he was without his wife.
- Frey allowed police to record his conversation with Peterson so that they can catch him.
- In a press conference in January 2003, Luci’s family withdrew their support for Peterson.
Search and Arrest of Scott Peterson
- In April 2003, a couple walking past the San Francisco Bay found the body of a small baby in the marshy area.
- On the next day, another person found the torso of a pregnant woman on the shore of the bay.
- The remains were almost unrecognizable since the head, legs, arms and most of the internal organs were missing, the only organ present was the uterus.
- In April 2003, the DNA reports showed that the bodies were of Laci and her son, Conner.
- The body of the child was mutilated on one side and its umbilical cord was still attached, however, the autopsy report showed that the cord was not there.
- The exact date and cause of their death were not known.
- After the investigation, Peterson was found guilty and police rushed to catch him so that he had no chance to escape.
- On April 2003, Peterson was arrested near a golf course along with miscellaneous items and cash in his car.
- Police suspected that these items could be an indication that he wanted to escape.
Laci Peterson Death
- Laci Peterson’s cause of death remains a mystery. On April 13, 2003, Conor’s body was found on the bay of San Francisco when a passerby couple found a well-preserved body of a male fetus with a torn umbilical cord. As his body was protected in the uterus, it was largely intact. But the body was decomposing. Nylon tape was found around the neck and a significant cut was on the body of the unborn infant.
- One day later Laci’s body was found when it washed up on the shoreline of the bay. The decapitated female body’s limbs and head were missing. The decomposed corpse was almost difficult to identify. A DNA test was conducted to identify the bodies.
- In April 2003, Peterson was presented in court where he was charged with the first-degree murder of Laci and the second-degree murder of Connor. He was immediately held without bail.
- His trial venue was changed to Redwood City where the proceedings began on June 1, 2004.
- Detectives testified for the search for pieces of evidence
- The defence lawyer Peterson based his case on circumstantial evidence and the lack of direct evidence and suggested that someone had kidnapped Luci and murdered her along with her child.
Laci Peterson Cause of Death
- The cause of death was not determined and none of the man-made wounds was found on the body. Laci Peterson’s head and parts of her limbs were missing when the body was found. Though her body was decomposed, it left many clues to attain justice.
Laci Peterson Autopsy of the Body
- The autopsy results revealed that the cause of death was not determined and none of the man-made wounds was found on the body. Conner’s umbilical cord was attached. But the placenta and umbilical cord were not found along with the body.
- The autopsy of Laci Peterson’s body revealed that her cervix was intact, cracked ribs, and had emptied upper torso internal organs.
Verdict, Appeal, and Overturning of death sentence
- In November 2004, Peterson was convicted of two murders, Laci Peterson’s first-degree murder and Conner’s second-degree murder.
- The trial concluded after he was given a death sentence on December 13.
- In the following year March, the judge sentenced him to death by lethal injection and also ordered him to pay for Laci’s funeral.
- In September 2006, a letter by Willian Dannemeyer, former congressman, claimed that Laci was killed by someone from Satanic Cult and not by Peterson.
- In August 2020, the Supreme Court of California upheld the conviction of Scott Peterson while overturning the death sentence.
- In September 2021, Judge Anne Christine, California Superior Court, sentenced him to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for the two murders.
The portrayal of Laci Peterson in Movies
- Several documentaries were released on the case, some of these are The E! True Hollywood Story, Scott Peterson: A Deadly Game, and Scott Peterson: What Happened? The Laci Peterson Story: A Dateline Investigation, Truth and Lies: The Murder of Laci Peterson, etc.
- Released in 2004, The Perfect Husband: The Laci Peterson Story was a made-for-TV movie based on the case.
- In 2005, Amber Frey: Witness for the Prosecution was released which was also based on the case.
- After the release of the 2012 novel, Gone Girl, it was said that the plot is based on Laci’s case, however, the author refuted the fact that it is based on the case.
- From 2015 to 2021, numerous episodes of different shows were aired that were based on Laci Peterson’s murder case.
Laci Peterson Net worth
- Scott and Laci Peterson owned a bungalow on Covena Avenue near East La Loma Park. The 1770 sq ft property has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchen with a built-in wine rack, two fireplaces, a pool, and solar panels.
- Peterson bought this house for $177000 in 2000. This was sold for $510000 in 2022
- Laci Peterson owned a Land Rover which she drove.
- Laci Peterson Net Worth is $5 Million in 2022.
|Net Worth||$5 Million|
The murder of Laci Peterson led to the historic Scott Peterson trial, the case that shattered a family, captivated a nation and defined age as a means of comprehending the American criminal justice system and how outside forces can alter it. Scott Peterson’s conviction was less of a sign of how well the legal system works and more of an example of how powerful it is for modern media to report facts in a way that makes them irresistible for tabloids.
Laci Peterson- FAQ’s
Who killed Laci Peterson?
Scott Peterson, Laci’s husband, killed her. Scott Peterson was convicted of the first-degree murder of Laci Peterson and the second-degree murder of his unborn son, Conner’s death on November 12, 2004.
How did Laci Peterson die?
Though the exact cause of the death of Laci Peterson is undiscovered, as per the autopsy report Laci Peterson died before the body was found on the bay of San Francisco. The child in the womb did not survive because of the death of the mother.
Why did Scott Peterson kill Laci?
As per the court proceedings, Scott Peterson killed his wife Laci along with an unborn child as he was having an extramarital affair with many women. Though the exact killing motive was never discovered the state had argued the aforesaid intention for the killing.
What happened to Laci Peterson?
Laci was reported missing and four months later her body was found when it washed up on the shoreline of the bay of San Francisco. The decomposed corpse was almost difficult to identify. A DNA test revealed the identity.
How did Connor Peterson come out of Laci?
As per the autopsy report, the body of Conor was removed from the mother Laci Peterson just before the estimated death. The umbilical cord was still present on Conor. Laci’s uterus was intact.
Laci Peterson where did they find her?
Laci’s body was found when it washed up on the shoreline of the bay. The decapitated female body’s limbs and head were missing. The decomposed corpse was almost difficult to identify. A DNA test was conducted to identify the bodies.
When was Laci Peterson killed?
The exact date and time of Laci Peterson were never determined. Her husband reported her missing on Dec 24th. She was eight months pregnant at that time. She last spoke to her half-sister Amy and her mother Sharon. Her body was found four months after her disappearance, on April 14th, 2004.
Why was Laci Peterson killed?
As per the court proceedings, Scott Peterson killed his wife along with an unborn child as he was having an extramarital affair with many women. Though the exact killing motive was never discovered the state had argued the same intention for the killing.
How was Laci Peterson killed by her husband?
The state found three pieces of evidence to identify the killer of Laci Peterson. A fetal growth expert’s testimony stated that the unborn child was killed on December 23 or 24, the last piece of evidence, a hydrologist testified to the movement of bodies in the bay. As per that Laci Paterson’s body was left at exactly the same place where Scott Peterson had told police
How did Laci and Conner Peterson die?
Conor’s body was found on the bay of San Francisco when a passerby couple found a well-preserved body of a male fetus with a torn umbilical cord. The body was decomposing. One day later Laci’s body was found when it washed up on the shoreline of the bay. The decomposed corpse was almost difficult to identify. DNA tests revealed the identity of the bodies.
Where was Laci Peterson killed?
As the hydrologist’s testimony there was a movement of the body in the bay. As per that Laci Paterson’s body was left at exactly the same place, he was fishing on 24th December 2003. On April 14th, 2004 Laci’s body was found when it washed up on the shoreline of the bay of San Francisco. The decomposed corpse was almost difficult to identify. A DNA test was conducted to identify the bodies.
Where was Laci Peterson found?
On April 14th, 2004 Laci’s body was found when it washed up on the shoreline of the bay of San Francisco. The decapitated female body’s limbs and head were missing. The decomposed corpse was almost difficult to identify. A DNA test was conducted to identify the bodies.
Who is Laci Peterson?
Laci Peterson, a Californian woman, got murdered in 2003 while she was eight months pregnant by her husband Scott Peterson. Scott Peterson was convicted of the first-degree murder of Laci Peterson and the second-degree murder of his unborn son, Conner, on November 12, 2004.
Where did Laci Peterson live?
Laci Peterson lived in her hometown Modesto, California with her husband, Scott Peterson. They lived in a bungalow on Covena Avenue near East La Loma Park. Laci was living the life of being a perfect housewife, enjoying cooking and entertaining the family.
When did Laci Peterson disappear?
Laci Peterson disappeared on Christmas Eve in 2002. . She last spoke to her half-sister Amy and her mother Sharon. Her body was found four months after her disappearance, on April 14th, 2004.
Are Laci Peterson’s parents still alive?
Dennis Rocha passed away while sleeping on December 9, 2018, at the age of 72. Laci’s Stepfather, Ron Grantski also died in sleep on April 8, 2018, because of his ill health. Laci’s mother Sharon stays in California and has always been a voice demanding political reforms leading to the passage of the Unborn Victims of Violence Act
Did Laci Peterson have kids?
Laci Peterson was eight months pregnant when she disappeared. Laci and Scott were expecting a baby boy and decided to call him Conor Peterson. But the bodies of both mother and the unborn child were found on the bay of San Francisco.
How many months pregnant was Laci Peterson?
Laci Peterson was eight months pregnant when she disappeared. Laci and Scott were living in Modesto, California. The couple and the family welcomed the news of pregnancy.
Did Laci Peterson have siblings?
Laci Peterson had an older brother Brent Rocha born in 1971. The family lived in Modesto, California with their mother Sharon. Their father was Dennis Robert Rocha.
Who is Laci Peterson’s father?
Laci Peterson’s father was Denis Robert Rocha. He was a dairy operator and owned a farm west of Escalon, California. Laci’s mother Sharon and Denis got divorced when Laci and her elder brother Brent were very small.
How tall is Laci Peterson?
Laci Peterson was 5 feet 1 inch tall. Laci is the first child of Sharon and Denis Rocha who died an unfaithful death with her unborn eight months old child in the womb. Lacy’s parents were relieved with justice when Scott Peterson, Lacy’s husband was sentenced to life imprisonment till death for killing Laci and the child.
What was Laci Peterson’s body found?
Laci’s body was found when it washed up on the shoreline of the bay. The decomposed corpse was almost difficult to identify. None of the man-made wounds was found on the body. Laci Peterson’s head and parts of her limbs were missing when the body was found.