Leslie Van Houten is an American convicted murderer and one of the ex-family members of the Manson Family. She was a Criminal and convicted for the 1969 killings of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca. During her criminal career, Her net worth is estimated to be $ 12 million. she used to have various aliases such as Linda, Lulu, etc. She also has two adopted Korean siblings, a Brother, and a sister. The court at first gave her a death sentence, but later, the sentence changed to life imprisonment. she was known by various names such as Louella Alexandria, Linda Sue Owens, Leslie Marie Sankston, and Lulu.
Leslie Van Houten’s Overview
|Leslie van Houten Biography|
|Name||Leslie Van Houten|
|Birthday||August 23, 1949|
|Birth Place||Altadena, California, U.S.|
|Profession||Actor, Murder, Burglary, Theft, Torture|
|Conviction||First-degree murder is defined under Section 187 of the California Penal Code. California Penal Code Section 182-187, First-Degree Murder Conspiracy|
|Father||Paul Van Houten|
|Mother||Jane Van Houten|
|Siblings||Paul Van Houten, Elizabeth Van Houten, David Van Houten|
|Height||5 feet 5 inches|
Early Life and Family (Parents and Siblings)
- Houten was born in the Los Angeles suburb of Altadena on August 23, 1949.
- Her father’s name is Paul Van Houten and her mother is Jane Van Houten. They got divorced when Leslie was just 14.
- She is of Irish, English, Scottish, Dutch, and German descent.
- She has an elder brother and two adopted siblings, a brother and a sister.
- She started smoking Hashish when she was 15 years old and a
- lso took LSD and Benzedrine.
- At 17, she became pregnant after which she was ordered by her mother to abort the child and bury it in the house’s backyard. As a consequence, she developed intense anger toward her mother.
- Houten had an interest in yoga and took a year-long secretarial course.
- She started living at the commune after she took a year-long course.
Van Houten joining the Manson Family
- In 1968, Leslie Van Houten moved into the commune with Catherine Share and Bobby Beausoleil with one other woman in Northern California.
- However, the group broke up after arguments, and Share left to join the Leslie van Houten Charles Manson commune and Houten followed her.
- Manson took them in control and decided when they would eat, sleep, and have sex and with whom.
- He controlled the intake of LSD and gave his followers more quantity of LSD than he consumed himself.
- From August 1968, Manson and his followers settled at the Spahn Ranch where they were isolated from other influences.
- The Manson family was based on the hippie-style principles of acceptance and free love.
- Barbara Hoyt, one of the members of the Manson family in a hearing stated that Van Houten was considered a leader in the Manson commune.
Also, Read:- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Boyfriend, Documentary, Movie, House, Age Now
- Leslie got married to Willian Syvin. Their love marriage lasted only for two months. They parted ways on October 26, 1982. Leslie started maintaining distance as she got to know about the prison-breaking plan of her former husband, William.
Leslie van Houten Role in murders
- Van Houten along with Susan Atkins, Tex Watson, Linda Kasabian, Patricia Krenwinkel, Clem Grogan, and Manson went to the house of Rosemary and Leno LaBianca on August 9, 1979.
- Manson entered the house with Watson and then left with Atkins, Kasabian, and Grogan.
- Van Houten, Krenwinkel, and Watson murdered the couple.
Trial and Re-trials
- On March 29, 1971, Houten was convicted of murdering the LaBianca couple.
- During the trial, she testified that she had murdered the couple.
- She became the youngest woman in California to be condemned to death and since there was no death row for females, a special unit was made.
- Past her first trial, Van Houten, Patricia Krenwinkel, and Susan Atkins were kept in the housing unit of the California Institute for Women.
- However, they were shifted to the general population of the California Institute of Women.
- California Supreme Court in 1972, invalidated all death sentences including hers, and later turned it into life imprisonment.
- Her third trial was conducted and ended in 1978 after she was convicted of two murders of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca and one conspiracy.
- During life imprisonment, it was said that Houten will be eligible for parole only after she had served seven years in prison.
- In 1977, Van Houten was granted a retrial after her lawyer died.
Also, Read:- Scott Peterson Net Worth, Today Photos, Documentary, Age, Movie
Leslie Van Houten Parole Request
- As per the law of California, life sentences are eligible for parole in some cases and so Patricia krenwinkel Leslie van Houten filed for the parole request several times.
- Despite several requests, Van Houten was denied parole for the 20th time in 2013.
- In December 2021, the Supreme Court of California died hearing her case another time.
- On March 29, 2022, Governor Newsom once again overruled her parole after the parole board recommended her name.
Leslie Van Houten 2022
- The present Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, refused the decision of parole to release Leslie Van Houten. According to him, the seventy-two years old is still a threat to society. She was arrested as a convicted murderer and was a former member of the murderous cult Manson Family.
TV and Media Portrayals
- Leslie Van Houten’s parole hearing caught media attention after they were telecasted on Court TV.
- John Waters, the filmmaker, advocated Van Houten’s parole strongly.
- Houten also podcasted her story on the Ear Hustle podcast in 2021 in an episode titled ‘Home for Me Really is a Memory’.
- Cathy Paine first portrayed her role in the 1976 TV movie Helter Skelter.
- Connie Champagne also portrayed Leslie Van Houten in a 1989 stage play named ‘The Charlie Manson Story’.
- In the remake of Helter Skelter, Catherine Wadkins portrayed Leslie Houten.
- Leslie, My Name is Evil which was released in 2009 is somewhat based on Houten’s early life and the character is portrayed by Kristen Hager.
- In the 2016 movie Manson Girls, Tania Raymonde portrayed Leslie Van Houten.
- In the television documentary Inside the Manson Cult- The Lost Tapes, Leslie was portrayed by Gabrielle Klobucar.
- In 2018, Hannah Murray portrayed Leslie in the movie Charlie says.
- Victoria Pedretti also portrayed Leslie Van in the movie Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Leslie Van Houten Net Worth
The estimated net worth of Leslie Van Houten Net Worth is $ 12 million. There is not much info about her monthly salary or earnings.
|Net Worth||Estimated Net Worth of $12 Million|
|Source of Income||Actor|
Also, Read:- Alyssa Bustamante Today, Wife, Age, Bio, Netflix Movie, 2022
Leslie Van Houten is the convicted murderer of the late 60s. She is a famous member of the Charles family. The California Supreme Court ruled the decision of her death sentence, claiming it to be unconstitutional. She is now serving her life imprisonment with the possibility of future parole.
Leslie Van Houten- FAQs
Who is Leslie Van Houten?
Leslie Van Houten is a member of the Manson family known for influencing people and making them commit crimes. she killed two people at the time of Manson’s group and she has many names Louella Alexandria, Linda Sue Owens, Leslie Marie Sankston, and Lulu.
Which Manson family members are free?
only one convicted of the murder of the Manson family but after some time he was released. Steve Clem Grogan was convicted and given a loss of life sentence by the jury and with a second conviction for the Gary Hinman killing, changed given parole board advice for release in 2010.
Did Leslie Van Houten get released?
She was not released when she committed a crime. Her initial death sentence was changed to life in prison. and the Supreme Court’s choice in People v. Anderson then dominated in 1972, the death penalty But the death penalty changed into overturned and her sentence changed into commuted to existence in prison.
Did Leslie Van Houten got paroled in 2022?
On 9 Nov. 2021 Van Houten becomes as soon as endorsed for parole is being held at the California Institution for Women in Corona and in May 2023 is scheduled to go back for a few different parole suitability taking note.
How many times did Leslie Houten stab??
Leslie Van Houten a knife and suggested she “do something.” She in the end stabbed Rosemary LaBianca 16 times. who stabbed Rosemary LaBianca in sixteen instances in 1969 on Manson Family orders.
When Is Leslie Van Houten’s next parole hearing?
Leslie’s lawyer, Rich Pfeiffer, has said that his client is scheduled for potential parole in May 2023. Recently, the California Governor declined the decision to conduct her parole as he thought that Leslie was still a threat to many lives. In 2016, the then-governor also rejected her release.
What high school did Leslie Van Houten go to?
Leslie Van Houten was born on August 23, 1949. She attended Monrovia High School in Monrovia, California. She was famous as the Homecoming Princess in her school.
Are Leslie Van Houten’s parents still alive?
No, her parents are not alive now. She has also become old as she joined the seventies squad.
How old was Leslie Van Houten when she went to prison?
At the age of 19, she met the Manson Family. Charles acid-washed her brain and made her a member of the petty cult. She also fits the squad, eventually leading to being a part of crimes and murders
Did Leslie Van Houten kill anyone?
Leslie was arrested with charges of a couple of first-degree murders and a charge of committing conspiracy for murder.
Who played Leslie Van Houten in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?
The rising star of Hollywood, Victoria Pedretti, played the role of Lulu, aka Leslie of the Manson family, in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Where is Leslie Van Houten now?
The former homecoming princess is spending her inmate days in the California Institution for Women in Corona. The authority relocated her along with the other inmates during the pandemic.
What did Leslie Van Houten do?
Leslie was arrested with charges of a couple of first-degree murders and a charge of committing conspiracy for murder. She was even a part of the Rosemary and Leno LaBianca murder.