The elder daughter of former US President Barack Obama, Malia Obama, after spending eight years in the White House, managed to live a low-profile life in Washington D.C. Before enrolling at Harvard University, she made the most out of her gap year by interning for series and shows and also by working at the embassy.
Malia Obama’s Overview
- Birth Name: Malia Ann Obama
- Age: 23
- Date of Birth: July 4, 1998
- Place of Birth: Chicago, Illinois
- Nationality: American
- Net Worth: 2 million USD
- Father: Barack Obama
- Mother: Michelle Obama
- Siblings: Sasha Obama
- Spouse: NA
- Children: NA
- Height: 85 m or 6 ft
- Weight: 61 kg
Early Life and Education
- Born in 1998, Malia Obama was the first child of former US President Barack Obama and her first lady.
- She graduated in 2016 from the Sidwell Friends School located in Washington D.C.
- While residing in Chicago, she was interested in Dance, Drama and Soccer.
- She worked in television studios in NY and LA during the summers of 2014 and 2015.
- During the summer of 2016, Malia worked in the US Embassy in Madrid, Spain as an intern.
- She became the first daughter of the US when her father became the president of the US, and she spent a major part of her adolescence and teenage in the White House.
- Malia, along with her sister, was included in Time’s list of 25 Most Influential Teens of 2014.
- She enrolled at Harvard University in the 2017 semester.
- At the university, for her excellent work as an undergraduate and excellence in the art of teaching before graduating, she was titled as the Thomas Temple Hoopes Prize winner in 2021.
Read also: Tarek El Moussa – An HGTV Actor
Life as First Daughter
- Obama Malia was just 10 years old when her father was chosen as the 44th president of the United States in November 2008. She spent a large portion of her remaining youth and teenage years living within the White House.
- The president and first lady reportedly tried to keep their daughters grounded while adjusting to life in a 132-room mansion with a swimming pool, bowling alley, and numerous aides, according to Michelle’s autobiography Becoming. Malia and Sasha relied on the presence of their maternal grandmother, Marian Robinson, to accompany them to school and make sure they cleaned their rooms after receiving a Portuguese Bo the Water Dog in 2009 (and later welcomed a second one named Sunny).
- Although closely watched by Secret Service security, the Obama girls participated in routine activities like class trips, summer camp, and their high school proms. Malia, also known as “Radiance,” picked up driving from her security detail.
- Malia travelled with her parents on overseas vacations to Russia, Asia, and South America in addition to the yearly journey to Hawaii to celebrate Christmas with family. On these trips, she had the opportunity to meet notable figures like Pope Benedict XVI and Nelson Mandela. She is well-known for helping her father communicate in Spanish with their hosts during a state visit to Cuba in 2016.
- While Malia and Sasha Obama’s placement on Visit magazine’s list of the 25 Most Influential Teens of 2014 was approved by the Obamas, the presidential daughters were mainly shielded from the media during their time in the capital.
- While working at the National Zoo of Smithsonian, Malia undertook several TV and Filmmaking internships in her teenage days.
- She served as the production assistant for ‘Extant’ in 2014 and also helped the writers for the series ‘Girls’ released in 2015.
- In 2017, she also worked for a stint for the Weinstein Company.
- In February 2021, she got a position in the writer’s room of Donald Glover’s series ‘Hive’.
- Being drawn toward fashion, she drew attention to her “simple, polished and pretty ensembles” during her London trip in 2015.
- In the same year, she was photographed in a T-shirt having the name of Brooklyn hip-hop collective Pro Era.
- She also made a mark as a budding activist after joining the protest of the Dakota Access Pipeline at the Sundance Film Festival of 2017.
- Malia was also involved in the demonstrations across the nation after the death of George Floyd in 2020.
- In 2017, Malia Obama was linked to Rory Farquharson, her fellow student at Harvard University and the son of a London-based investment banker.
- The relationship between the two endured during college and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- To this, Barack Obama on the Bill Simons confirmed that Rory has spent quarantine with the family.
- Secret Service aught her driving. Her mother in an interview stated, “Driving for Malia, I think, gives her a sense of normalcy, like the rest of her friends are doing”.
- Rory Farquharson is related to Malia Obama.
- He comes from a prosperous family in Suffol, England. Rory’s mother is an accountant and his father is the CEO of an investing firm.
Malia Obama is an active Instagram user. However, her mother does not follow her and her sister on the platform.
Fashion and Activism
- While she received acclaim from Teen Vogue for her “simple, professional, and elegant ensembles” while visiting London in 2015, she also made headlines for being spotted wearing a T-shirt bearing the name of the Brooklyn hip-hop group Pro Era.
- In addition to influencing fashion preferences, Malia has worked to establish herself as a rising activist. She participated in a demonstration against the Dakota Access Pipeline at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival and later took part in the nationwide protests that took place after George Floyd’s passing in 2020.
Malia Obama’s Music Video
- After her internships at a few Hollywood projects, Malia Obama made a debut in music videos.
- Playing the harmonica, she rocks on “Walking on Air”, a New Dakotas song, a Boston-based band. The 20-year-old ex-first daughter can be seen lip-syncing, dancing, and rocking out during a mean faux harmonica solo in New Dakota’s “Walking on Air” music video.
Malia’s Net Worth
- With a political legacy and her work in the entertainment industry, Malia’s net worth is estimated to be around 2 million USD in 2022.
- Her biggest news came in 2017 when she landed an internship with The Weinstein Company in New York, according to The New York Daily News, despite having internships on the HBO series “Girls” and another job on Halle Berry’s CBS comedy “Extant.”
- The existence of a paid or unpaid internship with each of the television programs or with The Weinstein Company by Malia Obama is likewise unknown. Malia Obama’s typical wage, according to ZipRecruiter, would be $47,193 per year, or nearly $23 per hour, if she had a paid internship. If she were a high earner, her annual salary would be $91,500.
- Malia Obama has been included in Time’s most influential Teens list of 25 in 2014.
- Her interest in basketball and volleyball made her win several championships.
- She also won the Gatorade Player of the Year Award for sports.
- Google named her as the second most searched celebutante in the year 2015.
Malia Obama Traveled to Numerous Nations
- Malia Obama had the chance to travel and explore new places because she is the daughter of a former US president.
- She has done so, and she has visited several places and spent time with her family there.
The elder child of former US President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama is Malia Obama. She is independent of her parents and is who she is. She has been in numerous music videos and protests. She is perceptive, audacious, and assured.
Malia Obama- FAQs
What is Malia Obama doing now?
She is presently engaged in a Hollywood endeavor.
Does Malia Obama have a job?
Malia is a writer for Donald’s purportedly Hive-titled Amazon series, as revealed by Vanity Fair. The Hollywood Reporter previously reported that the show’s main character is remarkably similar to Beyoncé.
How old is Malia Obama now?
Malia Ann Obama, who was born in 1998, is now 23 years old.
What school do Sasha and Malia Obama attend?
The former first daughters of the US, graduated from Sidwell Friends School of Washington DC.
Is Malia Obama graduated from college?
The fact that Malia Obama graduated from college in May 2021 has been confirmed by her mother.
Does Sasha have a boyfriend?
Sasha Obama, a professional “style popper,” has a new man in her life. The 20-year-old daughter of former US president Barack Obama is reportedly dating Clifton Powell Jr., the 25-year-old son of famed actor and Ray star Clifton Powell.
What is Malia Obama studying?
She won the Thomas Temple Hoopes Prize, according to Biography, for “brilliance in undergraduate work and excellence in the art of teaching.” According to the Harvard department’s website, Malia majored in Visual and Environmental Studies throughout her undergraduate years. Given that she is interested in filming, this makes sense.