Mary Austin is a popular British Celebrity better known as the ex-girlfriend of Late of the British rock-star Freddie Mercury. She has inspired the late rock star’s personal and professional life. Even Mercury was very outspoken about his feelings for her, and he wrote many songs on her, the most popular of them being ‘Love of My Life. They both lived together for a few years in West Kensington. Although the duo broke up together, they still took care of Mercury during his last days when he was dying from aids.
“I lost somebody who I thought was my eternal love. When he died I felt we’d had a marriage. We’d lived our vows. We’d done it for better for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. You could never have let go of Freddie unless he died – and even then it was difficult.”
Quick Sneak Peek into the Life of Mary Austin
- Name: Mary Austin
- Born: March 6, 1951
- Birthplace: Fulham, London, England
- Nationality: British
- Religion: Christianity
- Spouse: Nicholas Holford (m. 1998-2002); Piers Cameron (m. 1990-1993)
- Children: Richard, Jamie
- Profession: Actress
- Zodiac Sign: Leo
- Partner/Boyfriend: Freddie Mercury
- Net Worth: $150 million
- Height:71 m
- Weight: 54 kgs
- Mary Austin was born in Fulham, London, England, on March 6, 1951. Austin was brought up in a lower-middle working-class home in West London.
- Her father was a hand trimmer for a wallpaper specialist, and her mother was a maid.
- Both her parents were deaf, and due to all such difficult circumstances, Mary had to quit school at the age of 15.
- She took the job of receptionist, making a better earning for herself and her family.
- She has worked hard since her teenage.
Career and Profession
- Mary started her career at the age of 16 by working as a receptionist.
- Soon after this job, Mary got a chance to work at Biba.
- Biba was a fascinating and fashionable place to work as the customers included some of the biggest celebrities.
- Mary, as a woman, struggled throughout her life, but she never gave up.
- She always said that she wouldn’t bе ѕuссеѕѕful аt what she wаѕ dоіng, but іt wаѕ Frеddіе whо ѕuрроrtеd her throughout and made her rеасh the lеvеl.
- She is always remembered as a true love of Freddie Mercury.
- She got married twice, but both marriages did not last.
- She currently lives wіth hеr twо сhіldrеn ѕhе hаd wіth her first husband, Ріеrѕ Саmеrоn.
- Austin lives a private life in Garden Lodge, the mansion she inherited from Mercury when he died at 45 in 1991.
- Mary did not have any child with her second husband, Nicholas Holford.
How did Mary Austin meet Freddie Mercury?
- Mary met Freddie through her ex-boyfriend Brian May when he was starting a band, and he introduced her to the bar and Freddie Mercury group’s lead singer.
- Freddie got attracted towards Mary then and there only soon after they started dating and moved in together in an apartment from 1970 to 1976.
- Their relationship ended when Mercury opened up about his sexuality, that he was bisexual.
- The very famous song ‘Love of my life’ was written for Mary Austin
- However, they remained close friends, and Mercury wrote love songs about Austin.
- The biographical film on Mercury’s life named Bohemian Rhapsody has details about the couple’s relationship.
- The couple was like an epitome of young love and happiness to their friends and fans.
- Mercury proposed Austin in 1973, and that particular scene was also created in the film.
- Mercury was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987, and during that time, Austin was one of the people who took care of him.
When did Mary Austin and Freddie Mercury call it quits?
Although there had been some speculation over Freddie’s sexual orientation, his sexuality was not really questioned for a while due to Mary’s frequent presence. In 1973, he proposed to her and wrote a song called “Love of My Life” in her honor. “I was speechless,” Mary said. I distinctly recall thinking, “I don’t comprehend what’s happening.” I had no idea what to anticipate. But Freddie found that he was drawn to males and began having affairs.
In 1976, he allegedly revealed to her that he was bisexual. “I’ll never forget that moment,” Mary subsequently remarked. No, Freddie, I don’t think you are bisexual, I recalled telling him. I believe you to be homosexual. She immediately moved into a neighboring flat after their quick breakup, and Freddie soon began throwing crazy parties. Mary stayed close, nevertheless, and she even worked for his management firm.
- Mercury’s death was the biggest tragedy of Austin’s life as he was his everything.
- When he died, Austin said,” I lost my family when Freddie died. He was everything to me, apart from my sons. He was like no one I had met before.”
- Mercury always referred to Austin as his common-law wife, and upon his death, he left his 28-room house and half his $75 million fortune for Mary.
- Mercury also asked Austin to bury his ashes in a secret location.
- Over this, Austin said,” He didn’t want anyone trying to dig him up as has happened to some famous people. Fans can be deeply obsessive. He wanted it to remain a secret, and it will stay so,”
- Mary manages the Mercury Phoenix Trust, a charity organization that fights HIV/AIDS worldwide.
- After Mercury’s death from AIDS, the band members and Mary, decided to launch this organization.
- The current Trustees of the organization are Brian May, Roger Taylor, Jim Beach, and Mary Austin.
Facts about Mary Austin
- She never married Mercury Freddie, but she was known as his common-law wife.
- She was the one who got Freddie’s inheritance.
- Freddie Mercury was like Godfather to Austin’s son from her husband.
- Mary is the only person who knows about the resting place of Freddie.
- She currently lives in a house that she got from Freddie’s inheritance.
Mary Austin- FAQs
Who got Freddie Mercury’s inheritance?
Mary Austin got Freddie Mercury’s inheritance.
Does Mary Austin still lives in Freddie’s house?
Yes, she still lives in Freddie’s house.
What happened to Freddie Mercury’s wife?
Freddie Mercury never got married, but he referred to Mary Austin as his common-law wife.
Does Mary Austin still live at Garden Lodge?
Yes, she still lives at Garden Lodge.
What does the Mercury Phoenix Trust do?
It is a charity organization that fights HIV/AIDS worldwide.
Did Mary Austin has children?
Yes, she has two sons named Richard and Jamie.
Why did Mary leave Freddie?
Mary left Freddie as she learned about his sexuality and was involved with other men.
Is Mary Austin still alive?
Yes, she is alive and lives in the West London mansion. Actress Lucy Boynton portrays Mary, one of the key characters in the film Bohemian Rhapsody.
Does Mary Austin still own Freddie Mercury’s house?
Legally speaking, Mary is the only one who has the right to reside there and do with it whatever she pleases. Again, a lot of people think the mansion ought to be converted into a museum, as Mary urged Freddie to do. However, he always wanted it to continue being a cherished and lived-in family home.
Where is Mary Austin now?
The in-person The West London property where Freddie passed away in 1991 due to an AIDS-related sickness is currently home to Mary Austin. She didn’t remove memorials to the late singer until last year.
Who is Mary Austin?
The sole genuine love of Freddie Mercury during his brief and difficult life was Mary Austin, who was never his spouse in a legal sense.
Did Mary Austin ever marry?
Despite their close relationship, Mary Austin went on to wed artist Cameron Pierce, who had two sons named Richard and James with Freddie as their oldest son’s godfather and then married Nicholas Holford.
Why didn’t Freddie Mercury marry Mary Austin?
Austin and Mercury were engaged, but when Mercury came out to her as bisexual after she originally believed he had been having an affair with another woman, she broke their love and physical connection. She never asked him if he planned to get married.