Born in 1967, Suzette Quintanilla or as known as Suzette Arriaga is better known as the sister of Selena, the front lady of the band Selena Y Los Dinos. The Mexican American drummer was born and bought up in Texas, USA. Initially, she was the lone person in the Quintanilla family who was not interested in music so her father had to convince her to be the drummer of the band. Currently, she is working with Q-productions Inc, her father’s entertainment company and also looks after the Selena Museum located in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Texas welcomed Suzette Quintanilla into the world on June 29, 1967. Quintanilla is the daughter of Marcella Ofelia Samora and Abraham Quintanilla Jr. Her father, a musician and songwriter, encouraged his kids to pursue music as a hobby.
- She is her parents’ middle child, and as she grew older, she became a successful singer and guitarist. She and her siblings were brought up as JWs.
Overview of Suzette Quintanilla
- Complete Name: Suzette Quintanilla or Suzette Arriaga (After marriage)
- Age: 53
- Date of Birth: June 29, 1967
- Place of Birth: Lake Jackson, Texas, US
- Gender: Female
- Nationality: American
- Religion: Jewish
- Education: Not known
- Father: Abraham Quintanilla
- Mother: Marcella Samora
- Siblings: Abraham A B Quintanilla (elder brother), Selena Quintanilla (younger sister, deceased)
- Spouse: Bill Arriaga
- Children: Jovan Arriaga
- Role in Selena Y Los Dinos band: Drummer
- Net Worth: As of 2020, her net worth is around 3.5 million USD
- She initially resisted joining the group when Selena y Los Dinos was created in the early 1980s.
- Later, Suzette claimed that her lack of confidence was the cause of her reluctance to join. Her father persuaded her to join nevertheless.
- Due to her sister Selena’s vocal prowess, Suzette’s sister became the lead singer, and since Suzette’s brother was already a skilled bass guitarist, Suzette was left playing the drums.
- She initially detested this since she thought it was inappropriate for a girl to play the drums at this time.
- The band initially only performed at weddings and busked to make ends meet.
- Travel requirements eventually increased as the band matured.
- Quintilla Jr. bought a used bus that he converted into a tour bus. The family just made enough money to eat during their first several years of travelling.
- In 1981, Freddie Records signed Selena y Los Dinos.
- The record company started promoting the upcoming first album in stores by selling singles from it.
- Freddie published the group’s first full-length album in 1984. After the album was finished, the president and owner of Freddie Records informed Abraham that Selena y Los Dinos were not qualified to put out a full-length record.
- He left Freddie Records because he wouldn’t give in.
Suzette Quintanilla’s Family
- Suzette is the daughter of the great musician Abraham Quintanilla Jr and Marcella Samora. Her parents identified themselves as Jehovah’s witness religion.
- A B Quintanilla and Selena Quintanilla are her siblings.
Suzette’s Marriage and Children
- Suzette got married to Bill Arriaga in 1993.
- Their son, Jovan Arriaga, was born in the year 1998.
Although Suzette is a famous drummer and a learned fellow, her education details like school and colleges are not a known fact.
Suzette’s Physical Appearance and Measurements
Suzette Quintanilla, with long black hair, is a 5 feet and 8 inches tall lady. Her weight is approximately 68 kgs.
- As a teenager, Suzette started performing alongside her siblings at the restaurant opened by her father, Abraham Quintanilla in Lake Jackson, Texas.
- She was the drummer in the band Selena Y Los Dinos while her brother was the bassist and her sister was the vocalist.
- However, after being declared bankrupt and getting evicted from their home, her family settled in Corpus Christi. Here, they performed at weddings, street corners, fairs, etc to support the family.
- Later, Selena Y Los Dinos was founded by her father and gained popularity after their first album “Selena Y Los Dinos- Mis Primeras Grabaciones” came out in 1984.
- Suzette performed in the band until the death of her sister Selena.
- Suzette left playing the drums and today she is holding the position of the CEO and President of Operations in her home company Q-productions.
Net Worth of Suzette Quintanilla
- The success of the musical career of Suzette Quintanilla is evident from the fact that her net worth amounts to a whopping 3.5 million dollars.
- She still receives royalties from her time in the band and has devoted the majority of her time to endeavors that support the preservation of her sisters’ reputation.
- She is very active on social media.
- She publishes frequently and occasionally receives payment for sponsored content.
- She has over 766k followers on Instagram, where she frequently shares content that gives people a glimpse into her life.
- She spends much of her time working on the family business, which develops young Tejano musicians.
The sisterly bond of Suzette and Selena Quintanilla
“I’ll be there. In the wings.” When Selena was on the way to start her solo career and on her tour she was nervous, her sister Suzette comforted her with these words.
- As the fiction portrays, Suzette was always standing by her sister’s side.
- Suzette was a rock for her younger sister in everything from fashion designing to music.
- However, Suzette was unhappy with her sister’s decision of dating, Chris Perez, the guitarist of the Selena Y.Los Dinos,
Protecting Selena’s Legacy
- Suzette after her sister’s death left drumming. She got involved in protecting Selena’s precious memories.
- She managed the Selena Museum, a memorial displaying Selena’s achievements and depicting her journey in the music industry.
- Suzette proposed the carpet colour of the museum as purple and the smell of roses since these were her sister’s favourite.
- Suzette also constantly supports shows and other mediums that celebrate the life of her sister.
Suzette’s efforts in developing Selena’s Makeup and Clothing Line
- After Selena’s death, clothing, makeup, and perfume lines were on the priority list of Suzette Quintanilla.
- The makeup line released by MAC cosmetics in the name of frontwoman ‘Selena’ is the result of Suzette’s efforts.
Suzette Quintanilla’s Social Media Handles
The personality is active on different social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, Website, etc.
Suzette Quintanilla’s Best Works
During her musical career, Suzette worked on several albums, movies, series, etc. However, some of them are among her best works. These include:
- Alpha (Album, 1986)
- Preciosa (Album,1988)
- Como La Fior (Song. 1992)
- Selena(Movie, 1997)
- Selena: The Series ( Netflix Series, 2021)
Selena Quintanilla’s Quotes
The best quotes from Selena Quintanilla are: “The difference is that the series is about the actual journey of us being a family, struggling to understand and figure out this musical part of us that we didn’t realize that we had.” “To me at the end of the day, it’s about the story, and not one person on this Earth is going to look exactly what you look like. It’s about what you can deliver in regards to what the story is all about.” “This series is more about all the questions, the little things that Selena’s fans have been asking throughout the years like, “Why was this song created of why this?” It’s more about filling in the full story of our journey and hopefully inspiring those who are going on a journey of their own. And whatever their dream is, to understand this was not a rise to fame right away. It was not like that. It took quite a bit of year and a lot of hardship as a family and being able to get where we were before she was ultimately taken from us.”
Lessons from Suzette Quintanilla
Some of the lessons from her life that can inspire you include:
1. Good Thoughts Thoughts have the key to drive on the way to success. Hard work is important but without good thoughts, hard work takes a back seat.
2. Keeping a positive attitude and Attitude while moving in the direction of your target defines how likely are your chances to get success in a particular thing. Thus, keeping a positive attitude is necessary.
3. Remaining self-motivated No other than you can be a motivator for yourself. It becomes important to self-motivate while moving forward toward your goal.
American artist Suzette Quintanilla is of Mexican descent. Quintanilla is Selena’s sister and the group Selena y Los Dinos’ percussionist. When she was younger, she developed an interest in music. She began performing with the group “Los Dinos.” She started performing with her siblings when she was a teenager when their father built his first Tex-Mex restaurant. Suzette Quintanilla’s net worth is projected to be around $3 million as of August 2022.