Yolanda Saldívar is a former American nurse who was also the president of very famous Selena Quintanilla’s fan club and manager of her boutiques. Saldivar was the one who murdered Selena Quintanilla on March 31, 1995, when she was just 23. Saldívar was terminated from the position of president as well as manager, some days before the murder because Selena and her family came to know that she was embezzling money from both organizations.
Quick Sneak Peek into the life of Yolanda Saldivar
- Name: Yolanda Saldívar
- Born: September 19, 1960
- Birthplace: San Antonio, Texas, U.S.
- Age: 62
- Parents: Frank Saldívar(father), Juanita Saldívar(Mother)
- Siblings: Armando Saldívar
- Nationality: American
- Religion: Christianity
- Profession: Nurse and manager
- Zodiac Sign: Virgo
- Net Worth: $1 million
- Height: 57 m
- Weight: 53 kgs
Early Life and Education
- Yolanda Saldivar was born in San Antonio, Texas USA, on 19 September 1960 to Frank Saldívar and Juanita Saldívar.
- Her father worked as a head waiter at a Mexican restaurant and her mother was a nurse at a local hospital.
- She has an elder brother named Armando Saldivar.
- Saldivar first attended Kennedy High School & then transferred to Holmes High School, followed by Jay High School before graduating from McCollum High School in 1979.
- In 1985 she was accepted at the University of Texas where she studied to be a registered nurse.
Husband & Children
- Joel Smollett and Janet met through their involvement in activism when they were younger. They crossed paths for the first time in the Bay Area. The husband of Janet Smollett was a Jew with Russian and Polish ancestry.
- Although it is unclear precisely when Janet and Joel began dating, they eventually got hitched and began a family. Even though Joel wasn’t always in their lives, they had a happy marriage without any problems. Joel sadly passed away in 2015 after a protracted battle with cancer. Janet has frequently expressed afterwards that she misses him.
- Their children bear witness to the strong bond that Janet and Joel shared. Since all of their names began with the letter J by coincidence, they decided that all of their children’s names would do likewise. Jussie, Jake, Jocqui, Jojo, and Jurnee Smollett are their kids.
- In 1988 Saldivar began working as a graduate nurse at Medical Center Hospital.
- In 1990 she received her license as a registered nurse from the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners and earned $60,000 a year.
- In the next four years, Yolanda worked at two other hospitals one of which was St. Luke’s Lutheran Hospital.
Involvement with Selena
- Yolanda attended one of Selena’s concerts and then she kept calling Selena’s father Abraham Quintanilla Jr about starting a fan club in San Antonio.
- He eventually gave in to her requests and she immediately became the club’s president.
- By the year 1993 the club was able to reach 1500 members and it even grew to over 5000 members.
- The success of the fan club led to Selena’s promotion as manager of Selena’s clothing boutiques.
- However, in 1995 Selena’s family discovered that Yolanda was embezzling money from the fan club and the boutiques, so they terminated her.
Murder of Selena
- Three weeks after his termination on March 31st Selena agreed to meet Yolanda to hand over the financial records of the boutique at the Corpus Christi Days Inn motel.
- Yolanda kept delaying the handing over of the record claiming that she was raped in Mexico.
- Selena took her to the doctor, but they found no evidence that Yolanda was raped.
- After returning to the motel Selena Quintanilla demanded the financial papers.
- Finally after giving the papers to Selena, she pulled out a .38 Taurus Model 85 revolver from her purse and pointed it at Selena.
- Selena then tried to run out of the room by the time Yolanda shot her in the back.
- Selena ran towards the lobby for help and collapsed on the floor.
- The clerk of the motel then called 911 for assistance.
- Saldivar tried to flee the motel in her, but a police car spotted her.
- She parked her car back into the parking lot where police followed her.
- A 9-hour standoff was held between the police and Saldívar at the Days in the parking lot, while Yolanda was sitting in her keeping herself at the gunpoint.
- At 1:05 p.m., Selena died in a hospital from blood loss.
- Yolanda later surrendered to the police and was charged with Selena’s first-degree murder.
Trail and Imprisonment
- After Yolanda Saldívar was found guilty of the murder of Selena, her trial for the same was closely followed by the Latino community in the United States.
- The trial was recorded on camera however it wasn’t televised.
- The venue for the trial was changed to Huston, Texas as Saldívar’s lawyers argued that she could not receive a fair trial in Selena’s hometown.
- The defence counsel argued that the shooting was accidental, but the prosecution pointed out that Saldívar, a trained nurse, did not call 911 nor try to help Selena after she was shot.
- Three days later after the trial, on October 26, 1995, Saldivar was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in thirty years.
- She was sent to the Gatesville unit in Gatesville, Texas for her procession.
- At present in 2022, is serving a life sentence at the Mountain View Unit in Gatesville.
- She will become eligible for parole on March 30, 2025.
- After the trial the revolver used for Selena’s murder disappeared suddenly.
- It was later discovered in a box of office supplies at the home of court reporter Sandra Oballe.
- But Oballe said she did not realize she had the weapon.
- The weapon was then dismantled and the pieces were thrown into Corpus Christi Bay in 2002.
- Saldivar filed a petition that challenged her conviction.
- She claimed that the petition was filed in 2000 with the 214th District Court, however, it never went to the higher court.
In popular culture
- Saldivar’s role has been portrayed by different actresses in different movies and series made about Selena’s life.
- Yolanda Saldívar was portrayed by Lupe Ontiveros in the movie Selena.
- Her role was done by Damayanti Quintanar in Selena’s Secret.
- Natasha Perez in the Netflix original series Selena: The Series played the role of Yolanda.
The estimated value of Janet Smollett’s net worth is $250,000. Her children, however, helped her write a book of various recipes and experiences from the dinner table, which launched her into a life of renown.
Things to know about Yolanda Saldívar
- She originally disliked Selena because she dominated the Tejano Music Awards.
- Yolanda was single when she murdered Selena.
- Yolanda went to a single Selena concert, and after hearing her sing became obsessed with her.
- Saldivar’s arrest was done after 9 hours of standoff.
- It is rumored she has found a girlfriend in jail, and that the two have been looking after one another for years now.
- Yolanda’s net worth is said to be over $1 million most of which she has stolen from Selena’s fan club and her boutiques.
Selena Quintanilla’s Last words
Selena used her last words to identify her killer. She said,” Yolanda Saldivar in room no.158.”
Singer Ava Max is well recognized for her songs “Sweet But Psycho” and “So Am I.” She is a calm, disciplined, methodical person who enjoys planning and organizing things.
Yolanda Saldivar- FAQs
Who is Yolanda Saldivar?
She was the one who murdered Selena Quintanilla.
How many kids does Yolanda Saldívar have?
Yolanda hadn’t married in the past nor had any children.
How much older is Yolanda than Selena?
Yolanda Saldívar was 11 years older than Selena.
What did Yolanda Saldívar steal?
She stole money from Selena’s financial accounts.
Why did Yolanda Saldívar kill Selena?
In a police confession Yolanda once said that she shot Selena “during an argument over accusations from the singer’s father that Saldívar stole money from Selena’s accounts”.
How old was Selena when she died?
It has been 27 years since Selena Quintanilla Pérez was assassinated as of today, March 31. Next month, the iconic Mexican-American would have turned 51. Yolanda Saldvar, a disturbed fan and former manager of Selena’s stores, shot her when she was 23 years old.
Did Chris Perez ever remarry?
In 2001, he wed once more. Chris and his wife currently have two kids. Newsweek claims that Pérez wed Venessa Villanueva in 2001, which was six years after Selena passed away.
Where did Yolanda Saldivar work as a nurse?
Yolanda was admitted to the University of Texas in 1985 and later changed schools to Palo Alto College to pursue a career as a registered nurse. Yolanda also started working at Medical Center Hospital as a graduate nurse.
How old does Yolanda Saldivar at the time of imprisonment?
Yolanda Saldvar, the previous head of her fan club who later committed murder, is still incarcerated in the Mountain View Unit prison in Texas, but many of her admirers are interested in seeing how she appears now. When Yolanda was detained for the murder of Selena, she was 35 years old.