Yolanda Saldívar is a convicted murderer. She murdered the famous singer Selena Quintanilla on March 31, 1995. when she was just 23, Over age is 62 years old. she is very famous in Selena Quintanilla’s fan club and is the manager of her boutiques After more than 3 decades after the murder, Yolanda Saldivar is still serving her prison sentence because of murder and she was embezzling money from both organizations. Many Selena fans are curious even today to know the updates of Yolanda.
- She is currently in her sixties. Her face is covered with wrinkles, and her brown hair is gradually turning grey. While in prison, there has been speculation that she will be released in 2015. Another speculation was about her death. However, the reports cleared all such fake news!
Quick Sneak Peek into the life of Yolanda Saldivar
|Born||September 19, 1960|
|Birthplace||San Antonio, Texas, U.S.|
|Parents||Frank Saldívar(father), Juanita Saldívar(Mother)|
|Education||Dillard McCollum High School (1979)|
|Profession||Former Nurse and Fan Club President|
|Net Worth||$1 to 5 Million|
Yolanda saldívar Age and Height
The former nurse killed Selena when she was 35 years old. Yolanda Saldivar Age is now 62 years old. She is 1.57m and shorter than Selena. After her arrest, Yolanda had always said that the murder was an accident!
|Height||5 feet 2 inches|
Also, Read:- José Trinidad Marín, Mother, Wife Maria, Family, Still Alive
Early Life and Education
- Yolanda Saldivar was born in San Antonio, Texas USA, on 19 September 1960 to Frank Saldívar and Juanita Saldívar.
- Her father worked as a head waiter at a Mexican restaurant and her mother was a nurse at a local hospital.
- She has an elder brother named Armando Saldivar.
- Saldivar first attended Kennedy High School & then transferred to Holmes High School, followed by Jay High School before graduating from McCollum High School in 1979.
- In 1985 she was accepted at the University of Texas where she studied to be a registered nurse.
Yolanda Saldívar Education
- Yolanda Saldívar was previously a nurse. She founded the Selena fan club. Soon after, she became her manager of Selena. Besides, she also used to manage other affairs of Selena. Selena caught her money laundering, and thereafter Yolanda murdered her. Yolanda was a student at Texas A&M International University.
Also, Read:- Juan López Death, Wiki, Jenni Rivera Husband, Kids, Funeral
- The 1997 movie Selena is a biography series based on the life of the great Tejano singer. It also comprised the murder of the celebrity. The movie showed how Yolanda Saldivar had slain her.
- The two fell apart when Selena came to know about her money laundering from Selena’s boutiques.
- In 1988 Saldivar began working as a graduate nurse at Medical Center Hospital.
- In 1990 she received her license as a registered nurse from the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners and earned $60,000 a year.
- In the next four years, Yolanda worked at two other hospitals one of which was St. Luke’s Lutheran Hospital.
Involvement with Selena
- Yolanda attended one of Selena’s concerts and then she kept calling Selena’s father Abraham Quintanilla Jr about starting a fan club in San Antonio.
- He eventually gave in to her requests and she immediately became the club’s president.
- By the year 1993, the club was able to reach 1500 members and it even grew to over 5000 members.
- The success of the fan club led to Selena’s promotion to manager of Selena’s clothing boutiques.
- However, in 1995 Selena’s family discovered that Yolanda was embezzling money from the fan club and the boutiques, so they terminated her.
- When Selena’s father received angry letters from Selena’s fan club members, he started investigating. Yolanda Saldívar and Selena soon realized that it was Yolanda, who was behind such a mishap. Although Selena decided to fire her, she was in constant fear. She even shared with her friends that things would not go well if she fired Selena.
- Her prediction was correct. The day came when Yolanda Saldivar was supposed to hand over all the documents to Selena and resign from the charges. Instead, she brutally shot Selena with a .38 revolver. The bullet hit her artery and she died a while shortly after!
Murder of Selena
- Three weeks after his termination on March 31st Selena agreed to meet Yolanda to hand over the financial records of the boutique at the Corpus Christi Days Inn motel.
- Yolanda kept delaying the handing over of the record claiming that she was raped in Mexico.
- Selena took her to the doctor, but they found no evidence that Yolanda was raped.
- After returning to the motel Selena Quintanilla demanded the financial papers.
- Finally, after giving the papers to Selena, she pulled out a .38 Taurus Model 85 revolver from her purse and pointed it at Selena.
- Selena then tried to run out of the room by the time Yolanda shot her in the back.
- Selena ran towards the lobby for help and collapsed on the floor.
- The clerk of the motel then called 911 for assistance.
- Saldivar tried to flee the motel in her, but a police car spotted her.
- She parked her car back into the parking lot where police followed her.
- A 9-hour standoff was held between the police and Saldívar at the Days in the parking lot, while Yolanda was sitting in her keeping herself at the gunpoint.
- At 1:05 p.m., Selena died in a hospital from blood loss.
- Yolanda later surrendered to the police and was charged with Selena’s first-degree murder.
Yolanda Saldívar Parole
- Yolanda Saldivar tried to flee the murder scene as she realized the severity of the incident. All her initiatives failed as the cops successfully arrested her. She was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment without any probable parole.
- As per the reports of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, there is news that Yolanda is eligible for parole on May 30, 2025, after serving 30 years of imprisonment.
Trail and Imprisonment
- After Yolanda Saldívar was found guilty of the murder of Selena, her trial for the same was closely followed by the Latino community in the United States.
- The trial was recorded on camera however it wasn’t televised.
- The venue for the trial was changed to Huston, Texas as Saldívar’s lawyers argued that she could not receive a fair trial in Selena’s hometown.
- The defense counsel argued that the shooting was accidental, but the prosecution pointed out that Saldívar, a trained nurse, did not call 911 nor try to help Selena after she was shot.
- Three days later after the trial, on October 26, 1995, Saldivar was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in thirty years.
- She was sent to the Gatesville unit in Gatesville, Texas for her procession.
- At present in 2022, is serving a life sentence at the Mountain View Unit in Gatesville.
- She will become eligible for parole on March 30, 2025.
Yolanda Saldívar Release Date
- After Yolanda’s arrest, she was sentenced to life imprisonment. Thus, she has been currently serving her prison tenure for twenty-seven years. Her possible parole Yolanda Saldívar Release Date is March 20, 2025.
Yolanda Yaldívar Interview
- After two years of arrest in 1998, Yolanda Saldivar had her interview with the American Station. She stated that the murder of Selena was an accident. Thus, she did not have a guilty conscience regarding the incident.
- According to her, she pointed the gun at her head to pretend to kill herself. However, Selena walked and was standing at the wrong angle. Selena’s father appointed Yolanda as the manager of her daughter.
- After the trial, the revolver used for Selena’s murder disappeared suddenly.
- It was later discovered in a box of office supplies at the home of court reporter Sandra Oballe.
- But Oballe said she did not realize she had the weapon.
- The weapon was then dismantled and the pieces were thrown into Corpus Christi Bay in 2002.
- Saldivar filed a petition that challenged her conviction.
- She claimed that the petition was filed in 2000 with the 214th District Court, however, it never went to the higher court.
In popular culture
- Saldivar’s role has been portrayed by different actresses in different movies and series made about Selena’s life.
- Yolanda Saldívar was portrayed by Lupe Ontiveros in the movie Selena.
- Her role was done by Damayanti Quintanar in Selena’s Secret.
- Natasha Perez in the Netflix original series Selena: The Series played the role of Yolanda.
Yolanda Saldívar Net Worth
The estimated value of Janet Smollett’s net worth is $250,000. Her children, however, helped her write a book of various recipes and experiences from the dinner table, which launched her into a life of renown.
|Net Worth||Estimated Net Worth $1 -5 Million|
|Source of Income||Primary Income source killer (profession).|
Things to know about Yolanda Saldívar
- She originally disliked Selena because she dominated the Tejano Music Awards.
- Yolanda was single when she murdered Selena.
- Yolanda went to a single Selena concert, and after hearing her sing became obsessed with her.
- Saldivar’s arrest was done after 9 hours of standoff.
- It is rumored she has found a girlfriend in jail, and that the two have been looking after one another for years now.
- Yolanda’s net worth is said to be over $1 million most of which she has stolen from Selena’s fan club and her boutiques.
Selena Quintanilla’s Last words
Selena used her last words to identify her killer. She said,” Yolanda Saldivar in room no.158.”
Also, Read:- Leslie Van Houten Bio, Net Worth, Brother, Parole, 2022
Singer Ava Max is well recognized for her songs “Sweet But Psycho” and “So Am I.” She is a calm, disciplined, methodical person who enjoys planning and organizing things.
Yolanda Saldivar- FAQ’s
Is Yolanda Saldivar still in prison?
Yolanda is still in person as she is serving her imprisonment tenure. She was arrested under the charges of murdering Selena. Though she denied the fact, Selena’s family has always accused her of various offences.